Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Welcome; VK cabled gloves

Hello! Welcome to my blog :) This is a first for me, although I've been reading other blogs for some time. I've also been knitting for a number of years, and I've worked on a variety of projects although I always seem to come back to socks and lace for some reason :)



This is my next project, cabled gloves from Vogue Knitting's 25th anniversary issue (Fall 2007). I've made tons of socks, but never gloves before now. I'm using the yarn called for in the pattern: Knit One Crochet Too's Ambrosia (70% baby alpaca, 20% silk, 10% cashmere), in colour 510 (Pale Moss), dye lot 221. It sounded so yummy that I had to order it, and it really is delicious feeling. I did have trouble ordering it from the U.S.; the only place I found that carries it AND that has online ordering doesn't normally ship to Canada. The ladies at Woodland Woolworks were very helpful, though.

I'm also trying out new needles. I ordered a set of 14 sizes of DPNs from Bambooneedlegirl on Ebay, 6" long, sizes 0 through 13 (U.S. sizes, fortunately they also have the mm sizes printed on the needles). As usual, I need one size larger needles than what the pattern calls for, in this case U.S. 5 (3.75mm) and 6 (4mm).

I don't know if I'll be able to work on this project on the bus. It's small, but juggling a cable needle can be fiddly, and I dread the thought of dropping a needle on a crowded bus. I may have to start a pair of socks to have something to work on. Much depends on how busy the bus to the new job is... We shall see.

No comments: