Saturday, January 5, 2008

Happy New Year!

Well, it's a few days late, but hey the sentiment's there :)

A couple of days ago the first instalment of my Christmas present from NurdGrrl arrived: Elann.com's Sample Skeins, where you get a monthly mailing of just enough yarn to make a swatch from their new offerings.


Last night at DnD I knit up all but the sock yarn (which is, of course, the one I'm most likely to order):


I really like the drape of the pale green. It's Seta Lana, 50% silk, 50% wool. The tweed is nice too. Unfortunately they're single ply, as is the other heavier weight wool. I'm not one of these knitters who'll sacrifice a ton of durability for "ooooh so soooooft"; I really don't like the way a single ply yarn pills and wears. The sport weight at the top is a nice 3 ply, with good stitch definition; nice for something in the 24 st gauge range. I'll have to knit up the sock weight to see if I can get my usual 32 st gauge for my standard socks.

Speaking of standard socks, I'm starting a pair for Gavin's birthday (end of January). Now these, I *can* knit on the bus, with my eyes closed :) I'm using Regia's Tip & Top yarn, 41% wool, 34% cotton, 25% polyamide nylon.


I've got the toe and a little bit of the foot done for sock 1. I really like the Regia sock yarns; they're durable, they're all the same 30 st / 42 row gauge, and they have a huge range of colours.

I also like the Lang Jawoll sock yarns, especially the reinforcing yarn, but sadly these are being discontinued by Yarn Forward. I'll have to stop by and get a couple of pairs' worth before they go the way of the dodo.

I'm still working on the gauntlets; I've just about got the ring finger done for glove 1. I tend to work on those in the evening, while a web page is loading etc. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to reverse the directions for the left-hand glove or knit it right-handed instead of my usual left-handed. My right-handed gauge might be a bit off and I might have trouble with the cabling, which is why I'm hesitating to do it that way. We shall see.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I've subscribed to your feed, but all that is showing up is your very first post back in November. You might want to check your blogspot settings to ensure that your feeds are being published.

That yarn pack looks like fun!